Gumbies

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Quality of Life

Shortly after our return from Okinawa, I went to JUSCO (a department/grocery store) with a fat wallet still overflowing with ichiman yen ($100) bills. Getting straight to the point, I absentmindedly left it in the bathroom. Without a concern in the world I left JUSCO and spent the day kayaking and spearfishing. That night as I was getting ready to go out for dinner with some friends a frantic search for my wallet ensued. It was only then that it dawned on me that I had placed it on the counter in the bathroom at JUSCO. A slow sick feeling started to form in the depths of my body. How could I be so stupid!! All of our ID, credit cards etc. were in that wallet!Rik and our friend Misako went ahead to the restaurant and I proceeded to go to JUSCO. Immediately I rushed to the bathroom. Of course the wallet wasn’t there. Now I was really feeling seriously ill. As I walked to the service counter I felt like I was about to vomit. At the service counter an attractive women in a smart fitting uniform greeted me with a warm greeting. When I asked her about my wallet she proceeded to look around in various drawers. NOTHING. Then she pulled out a binder, next she was on the phone. Her expression frozen in a permanent pleasant smile never changed. There was no hint as to whether they had my wallet. Inside I was dying, time ticked by slowly, I started feeling dizzy. Before I knew it a man came out of nowhere carrying my old green wallet on a tray. Upon inspection I found that EVERYTHING was there. Nothing had been removed.
Honesty and respect still prevails in Japan; being able to leave our house without a strong fear of a robbery, leaving our fully loaded kayaks at a harbor while we wander around the town, biking home alone at night after work.

That night over dinner, I could relax together with our friends and reconfirm to myself that I appreciated living in an honest society.

2 Comments:

  • If only I had wondered into the ladies...... damn!!

    By Blogger Jerremy, at 2:15 pm  

  • Hey R and L,

    Wanted to say hi! Kate and I are back in Victoria and missing many things about Japan, including the increcible honesty. We'd also like a little more 'jump to the pump' from just about every service industry employee in this Canada. Other than that, things are good. Please say 'yo' to all the folks at Eucali for me. Missing all you all.

    Grant.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Subscribe in a reader
[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]