Gumbies

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Soaring at Saruba

Mt. Saruba is a 400 meter hill on the seacoast in Nagasaki Prefecture, Kyushu, Japan. Under the right conditions, it is possible to enjoy a day of unlimited ridge-soaring on perfect, smooth sea wind. After three or four abortive attempts we finally lucked out on such a day: June 13, 2007, with 20km/h wind and a rather low cloud-deck. Psychedelic soaring among drifting clouds on Saruba led to coastal cliff soaring after traversing the 3km or so to nearby Aino. The scale is small, but the flying is fun!


1 Comments:

  • Ok, so I'm sure your blog is mostly for friends and family as mine is and you don't get too many strangers commenting, however I just have to say that I have been browsing your posts and they are fantastic and awesome. I wish I had known more people like you this whole previous year. I'm also living in Kumamoto prefecture (down south in Mizukami-mura by Mt. Ichifusa). If you ever need an extra person on adventures I'd love some suggestions on places to go and things to do.

    Glad to see other folks are enjoying Japan!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Subscribe in a reader
[View Guestbook] [Sign Guestbook]